Friday, November 03, 2006

culture clash

I was just reading the futurewatch blog. There was an interesting case study of sorts. An evangelical event was received poorly by unchurched attendees. The sad thing was that this came as a surprise. Well meaning Christians with a modern mindset and mode, seem to have a disconnect understand post-modern people and what Christianity looks like from the outside. The key I believe to reaching post-moderns isn't a "tent event" or camp meeting. It's not a attractional thing...like a cinema does.... The way use use to running things in the evangelical movement. Those things can have some success, but the crucial point that is missed is the integral element of authentic RELATIONSHIP. I talk about this is my upcoming book "I Love You, (in Theory): The misadventure of Christian grace" ... which is being reviewed by Thomas Nelson at the moment. I hope a deal goes through soon. There is a great need to understand the unchurched, and relate to them in a way that makes sense and is meaningful to them. It DOESN'T change the Good News message, but like Paul on Mars Hill, the delivery must be re-created. Not like window dressing, but as living breathing dynamic and organic relationally focused friendships that lead others to God through Jesus.

3 comments:

LisaColónDeLay said...

Your thoughts are welcome here. Good points too.

LisaColónDeLay said...

I read a bit, but I couldn't find much. I'll have to check out an actual book. But, ya know, Feminism is one of those things that if you think about it, or discuss it too much, you sort of wreck it. Same as joy.

LisaColónDeLay said...

I think the cool thing about Jesus, and therefore God, it that he was always taking human contrivances and turning them upside own to show us the Higher Way. Humility is oddly that higher way. The sooner we get this the better. Possibly, the less we are in the mold of what the world values... being macho, having money, being independent, having a awesome job, etc., the more likely we are to “get it”, (what Jesus main message was… “be like me”.)

You have your hands for more than me, and my son is autistic! How you come into this lifestyle? IMO, and through my own experience, having a good dad is more important than having a good mom, I think, so you're kids are blessed to have so much of you. GOD BLESS you. You are THE man! I'm humbled by your sacrifice.