Saturday, October 20, 2007

on being human . .

South Africa's Archbishop Desmond Tutu : "Ubuntu is the essence of being human [...] we say a person is a person through other persons. You can't be a human in isolation. You are human only in relationships. [...] So we say that 'I need you to be all of who you are in order for me to be all that I am.' Because no human being is totally self-sufficient. In fact, a self-sufficient human being is subhuman." [...] If you want to be human, we are not going to be able to be human in isolation. It will be that we are human together."

1 comment:

Rev Egg I said...

Hi. Great quote. I've got a friend who pastors a church in Lancaster called "Grace Ubuntu." I've never asked him what ubuntu means. Beautiful.

On a totally different note, I'm working with some folks in Kutztown on something we're calling the experience GOD project (www.experienceGODproject.wordpress.com) At this point it's just begun as a once a month worship gathering, but I'm hoping it becomes something more. Check out the web site, and if you'd be interested in getting involved (not sure how far you are from Kutztown but ..) let me know.